5 Steps to a Healthy Lifestyle
Week #1: Get Your Mind Right!
Welcome to the first week of the 5 Steps to a Healthy Lifestyle! Last week, I shared with you my own personal story about my weight loss and lifestyle changes and I promised to share with you the 5 steps I have taken to change my lifestyle and lose the weight for good. This week I wanted to discuss with you the importance of preparing yourself mentally (or what I like to call “getting your mind right”).
I had been on a weight-loss roller coaster (losing and gaining weight) since I developed hypothyroid when I was pregnant with my daughter almost 9 years ago. From my memory and my Weight Watchers weight records I still have, here is my weight loss pattern (probably even going up and down in between these records):
- November 2004 (4 months after having my daughter): 187 lbs.
- March 2006 (when I became pregnant with my son): 147 lbs.
- January 2007 (right after having my son): 192 lbs.
- March 2007 (when I joined Weight Watchers): 186 lbs.
- April 2007: 174 lbs.
- May 2007: 166 lbs.
- June 2007: 161 lbs.
- July 2007 (I declared “goal” at my Weight Watchers meetings): 155 lbs.
- October 2007: 144 lbs.
- I went up and down between 144 lbs. and 160 lbs.
- September 2012 (when I decided to “get my mind right”): 160 lbs.
- January 2012: 130 lbs.
- I’ve maintained 130 lbs. since January 2012.
Last September, when I had just got back from Hawaii and saw pictures of myself and realized I hated them all. I know we are our own worst critics, but seriously…it really bothered me! That’s when I realized that something had to change. I realized that I could no longer have my whole life revolve around being insecure about my weight any longer!
To get my mind right, I realized I needed to hold myself accountable for my actions and change my lifestyle completely! Here are the steps I took and the ones I highly suggest you take if you want to change your life permanently and overcome the weight loss roller coaster!
- WHO are you doing this for? Decide to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle for yourself! Not because someone else thinks you are fat, not because someone made a rude comment about how you look, not because some guy or girl made you feel bad about yourself, not because you want to look as good or better than your friend….do it for YOU! When you realize this is what you want for yourself, you will find that motivation you will need each day to stay committed to your weight loss journey, but more importantly, you will keep that motivation throughout your life! I’m not saying those things you think or feel about what other people say about the way you look won’t bother you, but those have to be secondary to what you want for yourself.
- Decide WHAT you are going to do! What you are going to do to attain your goals? Personally, I decided I needed to learn how to stay motivated to eat healthy, work out consistently FOREVER (not just while I was trying to lose weight), learn to control portion sizes (especially when I was eating something “extra” like sweets, or things I knew were unhealthy), and learn new healthy recipes and healthy substitutions for the things I was eating that were not so healthy.
- HOW are you going to attain your goals? These strategies will change based on what you need personally (and only you know that). I decided I needed to start writing down EVERYTHING I ate (literally everything that went into my mouth, including water) so that I could “see” what I was eating. There is something that brings a real reality check to what you are doing when you put it on paper. I also decided to write down my physical activity, find inspirational quotes and I even created a Health and Fitness Board on my Coupon Gal Pinterest page. Those quotes, strategies, and pictures keep me motivated in my moments of weakness.
To get started in your new healthy lifestyle, start with WHO, WHAT and HOW you will get your mind right! Find that voice inside yourself that encourage you, believe in you, and stay committed to you each and every day! This is something that absolutely has to come from within yourself! I know it is not easy, I have been there, but YOU CAN DO IT!
If you promise to “Get Your Mind Right,” I promise to give you the tools you need to be successful in the next 4 weeks of the 5 Steps to a Healthy Lifestyle!
Because you owe it to yourself to be healthy!
*Disclaimer: Never start a new exercise/diet regimen without consulting your Dr. first.
*Copyright: This is an original series developed and written by Coupon Gal and can not be shared without express written permission.